In 2018, the Peterborough Currents team created themed episodes as a way to explore stories in the community. This episode about food delved into six stories about growing food, selling food, making food, working with food, and the politics of food.
Find time codes below for when each story begins:
- (0:24) Another season of gardening kicks off at Seedy Sunday;
- (4:40) an interview with a Peterborough Farmers’ Market vendor, as the beleaguered organization tries to put its reseller controversy behind it;
- (12:40) Shannon Mak serves up a cocktail at Le Petit Bar;
- (16:20) Martin Carbajal (of La Mesita Restaurante) explains his passion for tacos;
- (19:10) food service workers at Trent University threaten a strike in response to their precarious work conditions; and
- (26:46) Food Not Bombs Peterborough serves free vegan meals to anyone who is hungry every Monday night in Confederation Park, and they’ve been at it for almost 13 years without ever missing a meal.
This episode was hosted and produced by Ayesha Barmania and Will Pearson. With contributions by Mauricio Interiano and Josh Skinner. Music composed and performed by John Whelan.